SMTX Hometown Holiday Shoebox Parade
The 2021 SMTX Hometown Holiday Shoebox Parade was a huge success! Thank you to all those who participated and watched. Stay tuned for more information about the 2022 event.
The SMTX Hometown Holiday Shoebox Parade is dedicated to promoting community engagement, holiday spirit, and shopping local in the great city of San Marcos.
The 2021 SMTX Hometown Holiday Shoebox Parade video was released on Thursday, November 25, 2021 at 2 pm on the SMTX Community Services Facebook page, Downtown San Marcos Facebook page, City of San Marcos Facebook page, and the City of San Marcos YouTube channel.
I-Spy Scavenger Hunt
There are 2 options to access the I-Spy Scavenger Hunt Gameboard:
1. Download it here. Complete it digitally or print it at home.
2. Pick up a copy from the Parks & Rec Office located at 401 E. Hopkins between Friday, November 19, 2021, and Wednesday, November 24, 2021 from 8am-5pm.
After you watch the parade and complete the hunt, email a photo of your completed gameboard to Jennifer Mach by 9 pm on November 30, 2021, for a chance to win a City of San Marcos prize pack. One adult and one youth winner will be randomly drawn.
Who Can Enter?
Individuals, children, families, businesses, civic organizations, and non-profits are all invited to participate.
How to Enter
- Decorate a shoebox with your chosen theme, following the rules and guidelines listed below.
- Complete the online entry form. There is no cost to participate. The written description will assist in creating the announcer’s script for the virtual parade. No late entries will be accepted.
- Entries may be dropped off at the City Hall Complex, Building #2 (630 E. Hopkins) on November 8-9 from 8 am - 5 pm and November 10 from 8 am - 6 pm.
- The Parade Committee reserves the right to reject any entry and/or description that is not in good taste, inappropriate, or not in the best interest of the parade. Entries must be family-friendly.
- No political candidacy signs or images. Current offices held may be identified. No “vote for”, “elect”, or “support” signs allowed.
- If you want to keep your float entry, it must be picked up from the City Hall Complex, Building #2 (630 E. Hopkins) from November 29 - 30 from 8 am-5 pm.
Shoebox Float Guidelines
- Grab a "shoebox" or something similarly inspiring - Start with a base like a small box from a recent online order delivery, an old shoebox, a small crate, a tub, or a container of choice no larger than 12”x 9”x 5” for the base, and final product must be no taller than 12 inches. It doesn't have to roll, it just needs to be able to be “pulled” by string for the parade video. Floats will be viewed from the front passenger side, please decorate accordingly. Check out the Facebook link below to get a better idea of the parade floats will move across the screen.
- Find your materials - Entries can be made from things you already have at home. You could use flowers from your yard, craft supplies, construction paper, dolls/action figures, paper mache, clay, paint, markers, sequins, seeds, or anything else you can find to bring your float to life!
- Descriptions will be used to create the parade commentary for the announcers.
- Inspiration can be found by viewing last year's parade on Facebook and this link on YouTube.
Have questions? Email Jennifer Mach.