City of San Marcos Arts and Cultural Funding
The 2019 - 2020 grant application period is now CLOSED.
Arts and cultural program grants
Grants are available for projects that promote or enhance the arts in San Marcos. Projects must also enhance tourism to our community.
Our vision for San Marcos is a city in which artistic excellence is celebrated, supported and available to all. The mission of the San Marcos Arts Commission is to promote tourism in San Marcos by enriching our city and its diverse cultural heritage by supporting works of artistic excellence, advancing arts education and strengthening the arts in the community while promoting local tourism and the convention industry. The appointed commission provides oversight for the expenditure of city Hotel Occupancy Tax (HOT Tax) and general funds for the promotion of the arts.
Diversity program grants
Grants are also available for projects that may not have an impact on tourism yet still promote and celebrate our City's diverse cultural heritage.
The Arts Commission has defined “Diversity Programs” as those that meet one or more of the following criteria:
- Preserves, produces, or presents art forms and cultural activities specific to any ethnic culture.
- Expresses the experiences of historically under-served ethnic and other communities (which include, but are not limited to African Americans, Asian Americans, Hispanics/Latinos, Native Americans, Pacific Islanders, and the Gay/Lesbian Community).
- Celebrates San Marcos’ ethnic diversity and variety of cultural traditions.
- Connects diverse communities through educational or interactive activities.
Diversity program grant application process
- Review and complete the Guidelines and Application for Arts Funding.
- Complete the Diversity Programs Funding Questionnaire.
- Submit all applications online by 11:59 p.m on Sunday, September 15, 2019.
Helpful tips before you start your application
Read and understand the 2019 Arts and Cultural Grants guidelines. This document will tell you the information you’ll need to have ready to fill out the online application.
Fill out a budget worksheet. Instructions for the budget worksheet are in the 2019 Arts and Cultural Grants Guidelines.
Create a profile on this website. Creating a profile allows you to save your progress as you fill out the application. Click on “Sign In” in the upper right corner of this web page, click the “Create Profile” button, and follow the instructions on the screen. Note: you’ll have to have a valid email address.
August 5: Application period opens
August 27: Arts Workshop – Navigating the Arts and Cultural Grant process. 6-8 p.m., San Marcos Activity Center Room 1, 501 E. Hopkins.
September 15 at 11:59 p.m.: Application period closes
October 2 and 3: Arts Commission reviews applications
October 16: Arts Commission awards grants