Property crimes are defined as those whose goal is to obtain money, property, or some other benefit. Fraud, theft and burglary are examples. Detectives normal working hours are Monday through Friday 8AM to 5PM. Please call the non-emergency line at 512-753-2108 and listen for the option that best caters to your needs.
The San Marcos Police Department has amplified its efforts to combat catalytic converter thefts, a particularly prevalent type of property crime. As of Feb. 3, 2022, at least 301 catalytic converters have been stolen in San Marcos since Jan. 1, 2019. In response, Chief Stan Standridge implemented new measures to reduce thefts including:
1. The Department will discontinue online reporting for catalytic converter thefts. Officer(s) will be dispatched to take a report in the field.
2. Responding officers will canvass the area for nearby video sources.
3. The Department will partner with community businesses to host catalytic converter etching/ID events.
4. Suspect information, tips to prevent offenses, and other pertinent information will be shared with the public.
5. The Department's Criminal Investigations Division (CID) will contact all recyclers to review recent sales of catalytic converters in San Marcos.
6. CID will share information with neighboring agencies in an effort to identify and apprehend offenders.
7. Sworn personnel will routinely patrol parking lots, apartment complexes, and other venues where thefts have historically occurred.
8. The Department will research anti-theft devices and share best practices with citizens.