Sergeant Clewell has been a peace officer since 1996. He holds a Master Peace Officer certification from the Texas Commission on Law Enforcement (TCOLE). During his time with the department, Sergeant Clewell has served as a Patrol Officer/Corporal/Sergeant, a department trainer, and is currently assigned as the Training Coordinator and Rangemaster for the San Marcos Police Department
He proudly served in the U.S. Army (3rd Inf. Div.) and was honorably discharged in 1999. He has also worked for the Hays County Sheriff’s Department with assignments in corrections, patrol, FTO, and SORT.
He holds or has held the following certifications:
- Basic SWAT
- Field Training Officer
- SFST Practitioner
- TCOLE Instructor certification
- PPCT Defensive Tactics / Pressure Points / Impact Weapon Instructor
- TCOLE Firearms Instructor
- NRA Tactical Shooting Instructor
- Taser Instructor
- ALERRT Rapid Response to Active Shooter Instructor
- Surefire/Strategos International Low-Light Tactics Instructor
- Armorer for Glock pistols, AR15 rifles, and Remington shotguns
In addition to his coordinating duties, Sergeant Clewell also regularly instructs firearms, defensive tactics, low-light tactics, and force on force/officer survival scenarios for the department and across the country for several other organizations, including the ALERRT Center and the Texas Tactical Police Officers Association.