Almost a year after the tragic Iconic Village fire that resulted in the homicides of five individuals and injury to seven others, authorities continue to appeal to the public for new information.
“The investigation is on-going and continues to be actively worked,” said Fire Marshal Kelly Kistner. “We frequently receive new leads and information; all of which are followed-up on until exhausted. Although no specific suspect has been identified, the investigative team is confident the case can and will be solved.”
In the early morning hours of July 20, 2018, Dru Estes, 20, of San Antonio; Belinda Moats, 21, of Big Wells; Haley Michele Frizzell, 19, of San Angelo; David Angel Ortiz, 21, of Pasadena; and James Phillip Miranda, 23, of Mount Pleasant were killed in the fire. Additionally, seven were injured, including Zachary Sutterfield, 21, of San Angelo, who continues to make remarkable progress in his recovery at the San Antonio Military Medical Center.
“We can never replace the young lives lost in this tragedy or alleviate the life-changing struggle that Zach has faced since that day, but we can continue to work diligently to solve this crime and appeal to the public for assistance in achieving this goal,” said Fire Chief Les Stephens.
On Nov. 30, 2018, the San Marcos Fire Department and the Houston Field Division of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) announced that the fire was started intentionally and that the deaths had been ruled homicides.
A reward for up to $10,000 has been offered by ATF and remains in effect for information leading to the arrest of the person(s) responsible for this crime. If you have any information, please call 888-ATF-TIPS (283-8477).