The San Marcos City Council approved Code SMTX, a new 434-page development code that aligns with the City’s comprehensive plan and will guide how the City grows in the coming years.
“This is a day of celebration! Our new code has been in the works for four years, combining the efforts of City planners, citizens and stakeholders in a collaborative and transparent process involving numerous public meetings and presentations,” said Mayor John Thomaides. “I want to personally commend the tireless efforts by our City Council and City staff that have made our new code a reality.”
The City Council approved the new code on second reading Tuesday, April 17 during their regular meeting.
Code SMTX provides the San Marcos community with better tools to manage and guide growth by:
- Relieving development pressure on existing neighborhoods and the San Marcos River by accommodating future growth in well-planned areas where people can meet their daily needs within a short walk, bike, transit trip, or drive.
- Protecting existing neighborhood character within areas of stability by providing a framework and tools that complement the existing character.
- Clarifying, streamlining and simplifying the Code so the rules are clear and easy to follow.
- Creating a more predictable built environment based on community desires expressed in our city's Vision.
- Enhancing environmental standards to improve storm water management while adding protections for the San Marcos River and the Edwards Aquifer through new and enhanced water quality standards.
“Adoption of Code SMTX is a milestone for San Marcos as we continue to grow and add new development to our community,” said City Manager Bert Lumbreras. “Many thanks to Planning Manager Abby Gillfillan and Planning & Development Services Director Shannon Mattingly for spearheading this successful, multi-year project and making it a true community collaboration.”
As part of the new Code SMTX notification process, the community may sign up to receive notifications of new zoning applications here: http://www.sanmarcostx.gov/zoningalert. You may also view the interactive link to the new San Marcos Development Code at www.sanmarcostx.gov/SMTXdevcode.
For more information on the code, visit www.sanmarcostx.gov/CodeSMTX or call the Planning & Development Services Department at 512.393.8230 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.