The City of San Marcos Arts Commission is accepting applications for 2019-2020 Arts and Cultural Grants through Sept. 15, 2019. Information and links to the online application are posted on the City’s website at www.sanmarcostx.gov/artsgrants.
Art projects must meet the following criteria to be eligible for funding:
- Promote the arts, which may include instrumental and vocal music, dance, drama, folk art, creative writing, architecture, design and allied fields, painting, sculpture, photography, graphic and craft arts, motion pictures, radio, television, tape and sound recording, and other arts related to the presentation, execution, and exhibition of these major art forms;
- Promote local tourism and the convention industry; and
- Be open to the general public.
Cultural Diversity projects are those that meet one or more of the following criteria:
- Preserve, produce, or present art forms and cultural activities specific to any ethnic culture;
- Express the experiences of historically under-served ethnic and other communities (which include, but are not limited to, African Americans, Asian Americans, Hispanics/Latinos, Native Americans, Pacific Islanders, and the Gay/Lesbian Community);
- Celebrate San Marcos’ ethnic diversity and variety of cultural traditions; and/or
- Connect diverse communities through educational or interactive activities.
Examples of previously funded events include Summer in the Park, Indigenous Cultures Institute – Sacred Springs Powwow, Eddie Durham Jazz Festival, Walker’s Gallery, Suzuki Strings Workshop, Opening Door Dance Theatre Performance, and the Pride Festival.
The City will host an applicant workshop on Tuesday, Aug. 27 from 6 to 8 p.m. at the San Marcos Activity Center Room 1, 501 E. Hopkins, to give potential applicants an overview of the process and requirements for the grant. Space is limited, so applicants are asked to RSVP to Arts Coordinator Trey Hatt at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more information about the grant application process or the Aug. 27 workshop, contact Hatt at email@example.com.