Fair Housing

Fair Housing - It's Your Right!

Every American has a right to fair housing. The right to live where you choose, to raise a family, to own a home - in dignity and without fear of discrimination - is a fundamental right guaranteed to all.
This right is guaranteed by the Fair Housing Act, a federal law enacted in 1968 to be sure that everyone looking for a place to live is treated equally.
Equal Housing Opportunity Logo
It makes it illegal to refuse to rent or sell or make a mortgage loan to a person based on their race, color, national origin, religion, sex, disability, or familial status. Familial status means you cannot discriminate against families in which one or more children under age 18 live with a parent or legal guardian or against pregnant women.

The Fair Housing Act is overseen by the U. S Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD). The City of San Marcos and HUD want you to know how you are protected and what to do if you believe you have been discriminated against.

2013 Analysis of Impediments (AI) to Fair Housing Choice

This report provides an analysis to determine whether barriers exist that hold people back from obtaining the housing of their choice. The AI contains a community profile, a review of fair housing complaints, the results of community focus group discussions, an analysis of Home Mortgage Disclosure Act data, and a description of impediments that were identified, along with examples of remedial activities.

Once the impediments were identified, the City adopted an action plan that describes how San Marcos will address the issues.

AI Information

How to File a Complaint

Complaints about housing discrimination must be filed within one year of the event in which you believe housing discrimination occurred.

You can file a complaint electronically or find more information about Fair Housing on the HUD Website (look for the Fair Housing link on the left) or by calling the Fair Housing Hotline at 800-669-9777 (TDD 800-669-9777). The phone number for the San Antonio Fair Housing Office is 210-475-6885.

Write a Letter

You can write a letter to HUD that includes the following information:
  • Your name and address
  • The name and address of the person your complaint is about
  • The address of the house or apartment you were trying to rent or buy
  • The date the incident occurred
  • A short description of what happened.
Your letter should be mailed to:
Fort Worth Regional Office of FHEO
U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development
801 Cherry Street, Unit Number 45
Suite 2500
Fort Worth, Texas 76102
Phone: 817-978-5900
Phone: 800-669-9777
TTY 817-978-5595

For more information or to obtain assistance locally contact Dalinda Newby in the City's Development Services Department at 512-393-8224.