Temporary Food Permits
When is a Temporary Food Permit Required?
A temporary food permit is required to be obtained when food/drinks are removed from packaging and handled and/or time/temperature control for safety food/beverages are being provided to the public regardless of a fee is charged or not.
Examples of when permits are required are family/organization food benefits, food fundraisers, cook offs that provide samples, and private or City sponsored events with food vendors.
If you're not sure if your event will require a food permit contact our office to speak to a sanitarian.
If the event that is planned will include street closures, expects a large group of people to attend, includes rides, or a variety of other items a special event permit application may need to be submitted to the fire marshal's office. This permit needs to be applied for at least 30 days in advance. A copy of the application is provided below. Any questions about special events can be directed to email@example.com or (512) 805-2600.
- Food prepared or stored at home is prohibited.
- A hand wash station must be provided which includes: a water container with a spigot, soap, paper towels, and a water catch bucket. See second handout below for an example.
- Cold food must be held at 41 degrees F and hot food at 135 degrees F.
- All food and beverages shall be stored, displayed, and served so as to be protected from contamination.
- At least one person with a Food Handler certificate must be on site at all times.
- If reusable utensils are used a three compartment dish wash station must be provided. See third hand out below for and example of what is required.
- Liquid waste must be disposed of properly and must not be discharged on the ground.
- An outdoor temporary event must have a canopy or overhead covering. This covering must meet fire codes if stove tops, fryers, open grills, are under the canopy.
To apply for a temporary event food permit visit the Apply for or Renew a Food Permit page. Temporary events must be applied for 72 hours in advance of the event. When a large event is being planned and has been planned for months or many weeks in advance our department may require that all vendors submit application 1 week in advance.
**When applying for the food permit insure that the jurisdiction selected isnot Hays County.
Contact San Marcos Environmental Health with any questions at HealthInfo@sanmarcostx.gov or (512) 393-8444.