Lateral Entry Program
In an effort to attract experienced police officers, we are offering a lateral entry program. This program provides selected candidates with a higher starting salary as outlined below. The determination regarding whether a candidate qualifies for lateral entry will be made during the Chief's Review portion of the Selection Process.
- Be a certified Texas Peace Officer by the Texas Commission on Law Enforcement (TCOLE);
- Have at least 4 years prior work experience with similar duties in a comparable law enforcement agency; and
- Must not have had a break in service as a Police Officer of more than 180 days prior to the applicant's examination date.
- The lateral entry program is for pay purposes only and actual work experience in another law enforcement agency will not be considered for promotional eligibility requirements.
- The Chief of Police shall determine eligibility for lateral entry of police applicants. Eligible applicants may be placed up to Step 19.3 of the pay schedule. Officers placed through this lateral entry program will progress through the remaining steps as he/she completes years of service.
- No credit will be given to completed years of service in other law enforcement agencies when calculating Longevity pay under this program.
- Entry-level police officers that qualify for the lateral entry program must also complete a new hire probationary period as required of all new officers.
- The Chief of Police's determination of whether an applicant meets the criteria of the lateral entry program and placement in the pay structure shall be final and non-appealable to the Civil Service Commission, arbitrator or to any court.