Lost / Found
The lost and found list is only a reference for the public and should not be relied upon solely to find a lost pet. Please come to the animal shelter to look for and identify a lost pet.
The City of San Marcos Regional Animal Shelter attempts to contact owners if the pet has a tag or microchip. It is important to keep both of those updated with your current contact information. We also encourage every pet owner to register with PetCo Love - more information is toward the bottom of this page.
The holding times for animals are from 0 to 5 days, depending on the animal’s condition, temperament, and jurisdiction of impound. At the end of the holding time, the animals become property of the City of San Marcos and will be dispositioned as needed.
If you know your animal is at the shelter you must go to the shelter or contact us at 512-805-2655 within the holding period to reclaim your pet. If your pet is lost, please be sure to visit the shelter at least every 3 days as some pets can show up weeks and even months after they go missing.
Please Note: Lost and found reports are posted on the Internet and visible to the public. Once the stray hold period is expired, they may be listed on our Adoptable Animals page if they are still at the shelter.
What should you do if you lost your pet?
1) Upload a pic of your pet to conduct a facial recognition search on Finding Rover and see if there is a match! Click the banner below to begin.
2) Post a clear photo and your pet’s information including age, sex, spay/neuter status, collar color and type, breed, color(s), and any distinguishing marks or characteristics plus last known location (include City and cross streets) and time/day pet went missing on these social media sites:
Nextdoor for your neighborhood area and surrounding areas
Paw Boost create a listing, print a poster, and automatically notify local Lost & Found Facebook groups!
Pet Co Love -uses facial recognition technology to compare found pets, including those inside our shelter, to help locate your missing pet
What should you do if you found a lost pet?
1) If the pet is friendly and you have a safe spot to care for it for at least 72 hours, we request that you hang onto the pet and follow the steps below. Lost pets have a 300% greater chance of finding their way back home if they stay in the area where they were found. They only have a 16% chance of being reclaimed if they end up at the shelter. You may bring the pet to SMRAS to have it scanned for a microchip or we can send an officer to you. Just call us: 512-805-2655.
2) Post a clear photo and the found pet’s information including: age, sex, spay/neuter status, collar color and type, breed, color(s) and any distinguishing marks or characteristics plus the location where it was found (include City and cross streets) on these social media sites:
www.nextdoor.com for your neighborhood area and surrounding areas
www.pawboost.com create a listing, print a poster and automatically notify local Lost & Found Facebook groups!
https://lost.petcolove.org/ - uses facial recognition technology to compare found pets including those inside our shelter to help locate missing pets
3) If you cannot keep the pet while finding the owner, or if the animal is acting aggressively, appears to be injured, is ill, or is in danger of being hurt, please call 512-805-2655 and an officer will be dispatched.
4) If you have tried to find an owner or cannot provide temporary care for the animal, you may call 512-805-2655 for instructions.