As our daily lives are filled with more indoor time, there are many ways to stay healthy and active.
- Visit this page regularly or follow us on Facebook for new updates and ideas to keep you and your loved ones active, connected, and informed.
- Tag us in your posts and use the hashtag #SMTXRecTheCurve to share how you’re staying active and connected at home! We may be isolated, but we aren’t alone.
- For information on parks/facility closures and what activities/programs have been suspended visit our Parks & Recreation COVID-19 Info page.
Please note that the City of San Marcos does not endorse, collect payment on behalf of, or receive funds to advertise any of the third party sites or services listed or referenced on this page.
Here are a few ideas for staying active indoors (Disclaimer: Individuals should consult their physician before starting any exercise program or changing their diet to limit risks of injury).
50+ Exercises - visit our page with exercises specific to ages 50 and better.
For All Ages
- Take a Virtual Fitness Class - There are plenty of FREE options online. Here are just a few:
- Total Wellness-San Marcos members can access their online classes through their Facebook page.
- THRC-San Marcos is offering free live-stream classes.
- Hula Hoop Fitness - 10 minute beginner class, Fitness Hula Hoop Class by Rachael Attard, Hula Hoop Dance Fitness "Tango in Harlem"
- Silver Sneakers Exercise Class - Follow them on Facebook for live classes.
- Monterey Sports Center - Now offering Virtual Fitness Classes. Follow them on Facebook for live streaming fitness classes daily at 9:30a.
- Adaptive Yoga - Free adaptive chair yoga videos
- Yoga with Adriene - Free yoga videos
- Do Yoga with Me - Free yoga videos
- Fitness Blender - Variety of free videos
- Nike Training Club - App filled with free fitness videos
For the Kids
- Indoor Obstacle Course - Create an indoor obstacle course with tape
- Fitness Blender for Kids - Free fitness videos
- Cosmic Kids Yoga - Kid friendly videos
- Little Twisters Yoga - Free at-home kids yoga lesson plans
- 87 Energy-Busting Indoor Games & Activities
- Fluency and Fitness - Educational brain breaks to help students review essential literacy and math skills, while getting in some exercise. Find over 900 videos to help your child keep learning at home and burn off some extra energy. Our site is best used for ages 4-8.
- Go Noodle - Movement and mindfulness videos created by child development experts.
- The OT Tool Box - At home OT, PT, and ST resources designed to build skills in children through movement and play.
- Virtual Sports Drills - Video sport drills for kids that can be done at home.
- Brain Games - Games to play with your dog.
Did you know that the current Mayoral order allows for individuals to engage in outdoor activity, provided the individuals comply with the Social Distancing Requirements? All open spaces and neighborhood parks are currently open to the public, but it is important that patrons be mindful of local orders. River front parks, playgrounds, public restrooms, and water fountains are closed. River front parks include Rio Vista Park, City Park, San Marcos Plaza Park, Veramendi Plaza Park, Bicentennial Park, Children’s Park, William & Eleanor Crook Park, Dog Beach, Cap’s Camp, Thompson’s Island, Stokes Park, Ramon Lucio Park, and Wildlife Annex/Wilderness Park. Click here to view a map of all San Marcos river parks. Hays County Veteran’s Memorial is open but river access is closed.
- Visit a local park - Our parks are free and most are still open to the public. The playgrounds, basketball courts, public restrooms, and water fountains will remain closed. Don’t forget to tag us on social media. Visit our page on Social Distancing in parks and trails.
- Visit a nearby State Park - Texas State Parks are open. Check their website for COVID-19 guidelines before visiting. All Hays County parks, except Five Mile Dam Park, are currently open. Five Mile Dam Park is closed.
- Walk/run around your neighborhood and say hi (from a distance) to all of your neighbors who are getting outside too.
- Go for a drive.